Friday, June 03, 2005

a near miss

Yesterday I had a bit of a scare. With thoughts of earthquakes still on my mind, I headed to work in my GMC Jimmy. I took my normal route through Main St. Dyersburg and up to Troy Ave. It had been raining, so the road were very slick. Just ahead of me, I saw a car stopped in the road, getting ready to make a turn. I hit my brakes, and there were no brakes. I started skidding while pressing down on the brakes for all I was worth. It looked like I was going to hit the back of the car. To the right of the car was very little space because there was a brick wall and a curb in front of it. I headed towards the brick wall, missing the car. The curb (thank goodness!) helped me come to a complete stop. My wheels wound up on top of the curb, just inches from the brick wall, a near miss. I was just a little shaken as I called Marvin to let him know that there was definitely something just a little bit out of whack with the brakes. I drove his Nissan truck (stick shift, ewww!) to work today while our mechanics looked at my SUV. The brake pads were cracked somehow, so I got new pads and drums and they turned the rotors. Saved again by the skin of my teeth.

A lot of times life is like that. You're going along with an obstacle directly in your path. No matter how hard you try, it looks like you are going to hit the obstacle with full force. Then you see an opening to the side that will allow you to barely clear that obstacle. But you wind up nearly hitting a brick wall, only to be stopped by the curb in front of it. Life is strange, but then the alternative is way too boring for me! I'd rather do a little skidding around and have a few near misses. It's more exciting that way, and what a story you'll have later to tell your grandkids!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?