Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Going Home

Today was a very bittersweet time for me. I drove back to Arkansas for Uncle Lester's funeral. He was 89, and had never really recovered from breaking his hip a few weeks ago. My cousin Joe stayed with him in the hospital and through the rehab process. The hospital sent him home Friday and he died surrounded by his family Saturday night. He was truly the patriarch of his family, something that is missing in so many families in these modern times. In visiting with them afterwards, I felt their closeness and saw the stability that comes from having such a great family role model. My uncle and aunt had been married for 57 years. He was a quiet man who fully supported his family in whatever they were doing.

The drive over gave me time to reflect on the past. Someone wise once told me that you can always go back to your hometown, but it will never be the same place you left. As time goes on, I find this to be true.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?